The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Sunday 25 September 2011

Beinn Dubh, Trossachs.

Beinn Dubh

Beinn Dubh, Trossachs. Section 1C.
Height – 511 metres. Map – OS Landranger 56.
Climbed - 18 September 2011. Time taken – 5 hours.
Distance – 14 kilometres. Ascent – 740 metres.
Trip Report Details:


I had considered combining this Sub 2000 Marilyn with an ascent of Beinn Uamha but when I climbed the latter hill back in the summer I found the underfoot conditions difficult so decided on separate excursions.

The single track B829 road north of Aberfoyle was followed until I came to the private road leading to Loch Dhu House and Comer. Just beyond this junction I managed to get my car onto the grass verge at the edge of a passing place. It was a lovely sunny, although chilly, morning as I left the car, returned to the private road, and followed it passed Loch Dhu to the house and cottage of the same name. Here I took the left fork then soon afterwards a right fork, both signposted Comer.  The track climbed through the forest and over the col between Mulan an t-Sagairt and Tom Dubh nan Caorach. Areas of the woodland had been cut down which allowed for some views, including the pylons running through Gleann Dubh.

On reaching the Gleann Dubh forest track there was another sign for Comer, which was at the head of the glen still around four kilometres away. I wasn’t going that far as after walking up the glen for around a kilometre and a half the track passed below the pylons. I read on the Scottish Hills forum that there was a track here which headed part way through the forest towards Beinn Dubh.

The track was easily spotted and rose steeply through an area where the trees had been removed but with lots of debris left lying around. In fact higher up some of the debris had been used to reinforce the track which later levelled out with several gaps for water channels. I headed up a narrower debris covered track which became quite difficult to walk on so I left it and headed directly uphill. Despite the area being cleared of trees and lots of dead branches covering the ground this part of the ascent wasn’t as bad as expected.

I eventually reached and crossed a fence at the point where a small area of the forest remained intact, as it was above the fence line. Around a hundred metres or so beyond, the gradient eased and I then crossed some wet and tussocky ground to reach an old deer fence, which in sections had collapsed. Thereafter an easy ascent took me to the cairn marking the summit of Beinn Dubh.

The views were worthwhile, including Ben Lomond, the Arrochar Alps and Ben Venue. After a coffee break I returned by the ascent route.

Photos taken on walk.