The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Saturday 8 October 2011

Knock of Crieff, Perthshire.

Knock of Crieff

Knock of Crieff, Perthshire. Section 1A.
Height – 279 metres. Map – OS Landranger 52.
Climbed - 19 September 2011. Time taken – 45 minutes.
Distance 3 kilometres. Ascent – 175 metres.
Trip Report Details:


There were three Sub 2000 Marilyns located between Crieff and Dunkeld and my idea was to climb them before heading home. The weather forecast indicated that it would be dry until later in the day.

I parked at the top of Knock Road in Crieff, followed a signposted route along the side of a field, and passed houses which appeared part of the Crieff Hydro complex. It was then I discovered I could have parked beyond the hotel, but it was only a short walk to the summit so made little difference.

The path through mixed woodland, which had a few very old trees, was followed as spots of rain fell. I didn’t carry my pack, containing my waterproofs, as I thought it was a bit over the top for this short climb.

There were a few dog walkers around and on approaching the viewpoint a female runner overtook me. From the top of this knoll the views were slightly restricted due to the height of the surrounding trees. The toposcope wasn’t of great benefit especially as it was cloudy towards the west.

This wasn’t the summit as it was further north-east so I followed the path, which descended slightly until it reached a small fenced off area, where the trees had been cleared. Unusual stiles were crossed at either end although I think there was an alternative route round the north side of the enclosure.

Beyond I entered the forest and soon reached a small cairn below a large fir tree, this marking the highest point on the Knock of Crieff. With no views I returned to my car by the ascent route. Again I was passed by the runner who told me that she was now off for a swim. Well she wouldn’t have been bothered by the rain which was now a bit heavier.

Photos taken on walk.