The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Saturday 8 October 2011

Creag na Criche, Perthshire.

Creag na Criche

Creag na Criche, Perthshire. Section 1A.
Height – 457 metres. Map – OS Landranger 52.
Climbed - 19 September 2011. Time taken – 1.5 hours.
Distance – 4 kilometres. Ascent – 245 metres.
Trip Report Details:


My second hill of the day was Creag na Criche, above Little Glen Shee. I had hoped to access its starting point from the B8063 in Glen Almond but the road was closed for repairs. I followed the diversionary signs until near Tullybelton House where the signs indicated that the road was closed 5.5 miles ahead. I drove along this single track road, crossed the Shochie Burn via a ford, and parked in the small car park on the south side of the stream. Fortunately the road was only closed from this point to the junction with the B8063.

I re-crossed the burn by a wooden footbridge followed by the section of road I had just driven along before passing through a new deer gate, which had an adjacent stile. A vehicle track headed north then east and I followed it until a junction of tracks where I took the left fork. This track climbed north-west to reach a new deer fence and at this point the track changed direction and headed north-east.

Unfortunately Creag na Criche was on the opposite side of this fence and there was no sign of a crossing point. I therefore had no option but clamber over the fence before climbing through long heather onto the summit area. I crossed a few knolls before reaching the summit cairn where I took a coffee break with views of surrounding heather clad hills and in the distance a large windfarm which was still under construction.

Rather than re-crossing the deer fence I headed along Creag na Criche’s undulating south-west ridge before changing direction and descending steeply towards the car park. Low down, and after crossing some marshy ground, I located another gate in the deer fence which I used to enter the enclosure. I then followed my original route the short distance back to the car.

Photos taken on walk.