The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 11 October 2011

Ben Aigan, Moray.

Ben Aigan

Ben Aigan, Moary. Section 21A.
Height – 471 metres. Map -  OS Landranger 28.
Climbed - 9 October 2011. Time taken – 2.25 hours.
Distance – 7.5 kilometres. Ascent – 280 metres.
Trip Report Details:


I still had a couple of hills to climb in the Keith area so with the forecast of improving weather I set off up the A96. However as I passed through the Glens of Foudland the cloud lowered and it started to drizzle so I briefly wondered if I should continue. At Keith I left the A96 and headed along the A95 through Mulben as the cloud lifted off Ben Aigan and I soon reached the Forestry Commission sign for its car park.

The parking area was actually further into the forest than I expected and here there were notices and pamphlets about the various mountain bike trails within Forestry Commission property in Moray. On leaving my car I followed the vehicle track and mountain bike trail as it headed south-west. The track later swung round to the north as it gradual gained height.

I had read on Scottish Hills that there was a firebreak, which could be used to cut a couple of kilometres off the approach route, and located it beside a vehicle passing place. I followed the short cut, which was a bit wet and boggy with a couple of fallen trees obstructing the route. I came to a firebreak crossroads where I possibly could have gone left but decided to continue straight ahead. There was evidence of a shod horse having been along this route.

The vehicle track and cycle route was soon rejoined and I followed it until clear of the forest. A sign erected by Arndilly Estate asked for respect of rare wildlife and no noise. I wondered if they abided by their request when shooting grouse. Paths were followed to the summit trig point where it was quite windy. I had views to the nearby village of Rothes and in the distance the Moray Firth. I also observed my next hill, Knockan, with its wind turbines under construction.

After a cup of coffee sheltering behind the trig point I returned to the car park by the ascent route.

Photos taken on walk.