The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Monday 10 October 2011

Birnam Hill, Dunkeld.

King's Seat, Birnam Hill

Birnam Hill, Dunkeld. Section 1A.
Height – 404 metres. Map – OS Landranger 52.
Climbed - 19 September 2011. Time taken – 2 hours.
Distance – 4 kilometres. Ascent – 335 metres.
Trip Report Details:


My final Sub 2000 Marilyn before heading home was Birnam Hill with its highest point shown as King’s Seat. There were several routes to choose from but I decided to take what appeared to be the shortest although possibly not the easiest route.

I parked in the car park at Birnam Railway Station just off the A9, walked to the end of the car park, and joined the road that ran under the railway line. This led to a signposted route for Birnam Hill with the initial ascent being quite steep and warm work. Higher up the walking was easier as the path zigzagged. It then entered an area of bracken which had been flattened by walkers and was wet and slippery. There was an alternative route but I missed it.

It was surprisingly busy for a Monday but one group I passed mentioned that it was a holiday, probably a local one. The gradient eased and a short section of the path had been drained and resurfaced before the final climb led to the large summit cairn. Here a female was operating a radio tracker.

I sheltered behind the cairn while I ate my lunch before crossing to the south knoll to see if the views were any clearer as the trees restricted my photography. Afterwards I returned to the station car park by the ascent route.

Photos taken on walk.