The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Saturday 29 October 2011

Dumglow, Cleish Hills.

Dumglow

Dumglow, Cleish Hills. Section 26.
Height – 379 metres. Map – OS Landranger 58.
Climbed - 15 October 2011. Time taken – 2 hours.
Distance – 7.5 kilometres. Ascent – 175 metres.
Trip Report Details:

Earlier in the day I climbed the Sub 2000 Marilyn, Benarty Hill from near Ballingry, in Fife. My next hill was Dumglow, a few miles to the west, and just north of the county boundary between Fife and Kinross-shire. Again I had decided on a northerly approach but at my planned starting point the area was awash with mud due to ongoing building work. There was also a large crane working in the area.
I therefore drove round to the east side of the hill where I discovered there wasn’t a parking space left at the vehicle track leading to Loch Glow. However I managed to park on the verge at a passing place further north before walking back to the track. I then followed it through the trees and descended to Loch Glow where there were a few folks fishing.

A path, which was wet and muddy in places, was followed round the north side of the loch to the end of the forest where a less distinct path, or animal track, ran along the west edge of the forest towards Black Loch. On approaching this loch the ground was marshy but once through this area it was a steep climb, following a fence, to a small knoll. An easy walk then led to the summit trig point and cairn where I had hazy views of Loch Leven and the Firth of Forth. There were limited views to the west as the forecasted rain was approaching.
After some lunch, sheltering from the wind, I returned towards the forest where I had observed a more obvious path. This led to a narrow firebreak, not initially obvious. I entered the forest and followed this firebreak, which was wet and boggy in sections, east. Nearly a kilometre later I emerged from the trees, just west of the 336 metre knoll, descended to the east side of Loch Glow and followed the forest track back to the start.

Photos taken on walk.