The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Thursday 22 September 2011

Cairnie Hill, Fife.

Cairnie Hill

Cairnie Hill, Lindores, Fife. Section 26.
Height – 228 metres. Map – OS Landranger 59.
Climbed - 10 September 2011. Time taken – 1.5 hours.
Distance – 4 kilometres. Ascent – 175 metres.
Trip Report Details:


The earlier rain had ceased as I drove along the B937 on the east side of Lindores Loch where a couple of fishermen were setting up their rods beside a small pier. The width of verge parking here was restricted due to a chain link fence but several vehicles could be left there. A couple of the swans frequenting the loch were having a go at each other.

I walked back along the road for several metres before crossing it and heading up a vehicle track keeping to the right at a junction as the other track led to a nearby house. I passed a few game bird enclosures as the track ran below the north side of Cairnie Hill before swinging round to its east side on a gradual gradient. At the point where the track descended slightly I passed through an open gate and climbed steadily across a field.

This route led to the crossing of two barbed wire fences and into some long vegetation where vehicle wheels had flattened the grass which made progress a little easier. Near the highest point I crossed an old fence and walked the short distance to a large beech tree and rock which was the actual summit. I found a Geocache box concealed at the foot of the tree where I sat and had my lunch.

The descent was to the west but initially through some gorse bushes before another track was reached and followed. Unfortunately it led to a game bird enclosure so I had to retrace my steps for a few metres, before working my way between a line of trees and over another barbed wire fence. I then crossed a field to a grassy walkway that led to the track near the cottage not far from the start.

Photos taken on walk.