The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Thursday 15 September 2011

Creag Dhubh, Affric.

Creag Dhubh
Creag Dhubh, Affric, Inverness-shire. Section 11B.
Height – 539 metres. Map – OS Landranger 25.
Climbed - 27 August 2011. Time taken – 1.75 hours.
Distance – 3.5 kilometres. Ascent – 225 metres.
Trip Report Details:

Earlier in the day I climbed the Sub 2000 Marilyn, Carn nam Bad, near Cannich, so it wasn’t far to drive to the start for the ascent of Creag Dhubh. However I wasn’t exactly sure where my starting point was going to be as it depended on vehicular access.
I drove through the hamlet of Tomich and beyond reached a vehicle track with several water filled pot holes. I knew public access was permitted as far as the Plodda Falls, where there was a small car park, and from previous visits usually as far as the riding centre at Cougie.  However on reaching Cougie there were still no signs or gates so I continued to drive along the track on the north side of the Feith na Leitreach until the track split and deteriorated (NH227210). I parked up on a large area of levelled ground.

Trees to the south of the track had been cleared but direct access to Creag Dhubh to the north wasn’t possible due to mature fir trees so I walked west to the end of the woodland. Here the track rose slightly so I continued for a few more metres before leaving it and heading towards Creag Dhubh’s west ridge. Initially the ascent was through bracken but then it was over some very rough ground including a few old cut or fallen trees, old drainage channels, old vehicle tracks and holes containing water, all concealed by long vegetation.
Underfoot conditions improved as I waded though the lanky heather to reach the west ridge which was followed over a couple of knolls before a slightly rocky ascent led to the summit cairn of Creag Dhubh. Lunch was had at the summit with views of the Glen Affric mountains.

On my return I took a more direct route to the edge of the tress but it wasn’t any easier with some steeper sections to descend. The track was then followed back to my car. I never met anyone from Cougie or from the estate so I cannot say if driving to the starting point would be tolerated.

Photos taken on walk.