The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Thursday 15 September 2011

Fourman Hill, Banffshire.

Fourman Hill

Fourman Hill, Banffshire. Section 21A.
Height – 344 metres. Map – OS Landranger 29.
Climbed - 4 September 2011. Time taken – 1 hour.
Distance – 3.5 kilometres. Ascent – 165 metres.
Trip Report Details:

The forecast was good so I planned a tour round the Huntly, Cullen and Keith areas of the North-East of Scotland to allow me to climb a few of the Sub 2000 Marilyns. The first hill on my list was Fourman Hill, which appeared easier to ascend from the east. However a westerly approach meant a shorter drive to my next hill.
I drove from Huntly to the village of Milltown and onto the public road that ended at Redhill Farm. There were no parking facilities here but I spotted and spoke to the farmer, in fact we chatted for well over twenty minutes, before with his permission I parked at the side of an outbuilding.

Once booted up I set off for the track that ran below the north side of Fourman Hill. I soon crossed a gate, but what was shown on the map as a track was more like a path with over grown bushes at the side. The path was also used by cattle, as an extension to their field on the north side, and was muddy and churned up in sections.
A second gate was reached with a sign indicating the route to the summit. I opted to pass through the gate before heading uphill following the fence line to avoid grazing sheep. I was pleased to note that I had selected the correct side of the fence as higher up there were lots of cows and calves on the other side.

I reached a boundary stone and fence junction where there was a hole in the fence. I crawled through this gap and made the short climb to the summit trig point and cairn, which were surrounded by gorse bushes. It was still a lovely sunny morning so I had good views across the Banffshire countryside towards the Moray Firth and my target hills. After taking a few photographs I returned by my ascent route.

Photos taken on walk.