The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Monday 12 September 2011

Innerdouny Hill, Kinross.

Innerdouny Hill

Innerdouny Hill, Kinross. Section 26.
Height - 497 metres. Map – OS Landranger 58.
Climbed - 20 August 2011. Time taken – 2.5 hours.
Distance – 8.5 kilometres. Ascent – 275 metres.
Trip Report Details:

Earlier in the day I climbed Lendrick Hill so it was only a short drive north on the B934 to the starting point for Innerdouny Hill. Again there was no suitable parking at the side of the road but the entrance to the forest track, immediately north of the house at Littlerig, was wide enough to take several cars without obstructing the gate.

There were various notices regarding forest operations but none restricting access, although one sign indicated that this may occur on occasions. I headed up the forest track where there were piles of cut tress awaiting removal. A car was parked beside this timber and I could hear the noise of a chainsaw nearby. Vast areas of the forest had been cut down leaving a fairly unsightly mess but at least it allowed me to see the route ahead. The summit of Innerdouny Hill was just visible above the remaining tree tops, although my map showed the top to be covered in trees.
I kept to the right at a couple of track junctions and higher up entered an area of uncut mature trees. On a couple of occasions I was tempted to leave the track and use what appeared to be narrow firebreaks to access the summit area, especially when the track made a slight descent. However I persevered with the track as it took me round to the east side of the hill where I came to an old fence and a rather wide firebreak.
The fence was followed towards the summit over some rough ground and trails through the vegetation, possibly animal marks. I passed an old stone dyke before reaching the summit trig point and with improving weather conditions had views of the Lomonds, Ochils and the Forth Valley.
After lunch, sheltering from the wind behind the trig point, I walked back to the stone dyke and decided to follow it. Initially there was little difference in the terrain but when the dyke ended I entered a firebreak where the underfoot conditions were pretty awful, wet and marshy with a few fallen trees. It was too late but I should have returned by the ascent route. Eventually I reached the vehicle track and followed it back to the start. A couple of runners and their border collies, who were headed uphill, were the only folks I met.

Photos taken on walk.