The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Friday 23 September 2011

Normans Law, Fife.

Norman's Law

Norman’s Law, Fife. Section 26.
Height – 285 metres. Map – OS Landranger 59.
Climbed - 10 September 2011. Time taken – 2 hours.
Distance – 6.5 kilometres. Ascent – 320 metres.
Trip Report Details:


My third Sub 2000 Marilyn, before heading home, was Norman’s Law. There appeared to be several approach routes but I decided to start from near the village of Luthrie as it was close to the A92, the road north. However on entering Luthrie a sign indicated there was no suitable parking beyond Lower Luthrie Farm, so I left my car in the village near the school.

I could hear the constant bellowing of cattle and on passing the farm I saw some agitated cows in an adjoining field and their calves in a nearby steading, obviously being weaned. I continued along the farm road to a crossroads junction and took a right turn as indicated by a sign. This route took me below Emily Hill and onto Carphin Farm, which appeared vacant. Here another sign directed me through a gate and along another vehicle track.

A junction of tracks was soon reached but without any signage I opted to take the left fork and crossed a tied down gate. I followed a muddy track to the col below Black Craig where I got my first view of Norman’s Law. There were various paths, some were animal trails, heading towards this hill and I opted for one that led to a forested area, not knowing that further north there was a gap and path through the trees. I crossed a fence, worked my way through the trees, and crossed a second fence before dropping from a stone dyke onto a vehicle track.

I followed this track north and spotted the route I should have used to avoid the trees. The vehicle track headed into a field but I followed a path that climbed steadily beside its fence then to the summit viewpoint, trig point and large cairn. Highland Cattle were feeding nearby. I took a break here with views of the hills I had climbed earlier that day, the River Tay, its bridges and Dundee.

The descent was by the south ridge to the gap in the trees that I had missed earlier. This took me to the col beside Black Craig and I followed the ascent route back to the village of Luthrie.

Photos taken on walk.