The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Thursday 22 September 2011

Craigowl Hill, Angus.

Craigowl Hill

Craigowl Hill, Angus. Section 26.
Height 455 metres. Map – OS Landranger 54.
Climbed - 9 September 2011. Time taken – 2 hours.
Distance – 4 kilometres. Ascent – 215 metres.
Trip Report Details
:

I reached the start of this Sub 2000 Marilyn by leaving the A90, north of Dundee, passing through the village of Tealing, and driving to the road end at Hillside of Prieston. I parked my vehicle here as the road was wide enough without obstructing the nearby private roads.

My map showed a path heading north and I planned to use it rather than the vehicle track which was the direct route to Craigowl Hill. I stuck to this plan as there were lots of cows and calves surrounding the direct route, which was actually a tarred road.

The earlier rain had ceased as I crossed a cattle grid and walked round the east side of the derelict buildings expecting to find the path. However there was no trace of its existence, just wet and muddy ground churned up by cattle. There were also a few cows in the area so I headed towards the stock fence to try and locate the path, as well as having an escape route if required.
 
As I walked parallel to the fence I could see evidence of old tracks so I continued heading north until I came to a junction of fences. Here there were marks in the vegetation, on the south side of the fence heading towards Prieston Hill, so I followed this fence until there was a slight dip. I crossed the fence and followed a third fence as it descended to the road leading to Craigowl Hill.

I continued to avoid the road and climbed steeply towards the masts on Craigowl Hill which occasionally appeared out of the low cloud. There were more cattle in this area but they were far enough away not to cause a problem. I headed to and then walked below the perimeter fence of one the communication towers before crossing a rusty fence and walking the short distance to the summit trig point.

There were a few breaks in the cloud but insufficient to allow me a 360 degree view, so I returned to the tarred road and followed it back to the start. This did entail a few minor diversions to avoid cattle feeding close to the road.

Photos taken on walk.