The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 20 September 2011

Bin of Cullen, Banffshire.

Bin of Cullen

Bin of Cullen, Banffshire. Section 21A.
Height – 320 metres. Map – OS Landranger 29.
Climbed - 4 September 2011. Time taken – 1.25 hours.
Distance – 5 kilometres. Ascent – 215 metres.
Trip Report Details:


The third Sub 2000 Marilyn on my wee tour around the North-East of Scotland was the Bin of Cullen, located to the south-west of the Moray Firth coastal village of Cullen. To access the starting point at the south end of Shirralds Wood, I drove to Deskford, then Braidbog Farm, where the single track public road entered the woods. There was limited parking at the start of the forest track so I found some verge parking further east.

I walked back to the start of the forest track and followed it as it descended to and crossed the Glen Burn. Immediately thereafter I took a left fork and this track wound its way through the woodland towards the col between Little Bin and Bin of Cullen. The hill was obviously a popular walk for family groups and dog walkers, as I passed several.

Higher up the trees thinned and I was able to get some views of the surrounding countryside. There was a rather rocky looking shortcut heading towards the summit but I opted to remain on the track which eventually cleared the forest before it reached the summit viewpoint and trig point.

I was fortunate to have the summit area to myself as there were quite a few folks ascending and descending the track. I had good views of the Morayshire and Banffshire coasts and across the Moray Firth to Ben Wyvis and the Sutherland and Caithness coastlines. After a few minutes at the summit I returned by the ascent route.

Photos taken on walk.