The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Friday 16 September 2011

Knock Hill, Banffshire.

Knock Hill

Knock Hill, Glen Barry, Banffshire. Section 21A.
Height – 430 metres. Map – OS Landranger 29.
Climbed - 4 September 2011. Time taken – 1.25 hours.
Distance – 2.5 kilometres. Ascent – 235 metres.
Trip Report Details:

The second Sub 2000 Marilyn on my wee tour of the North-East of Scotland was Knock Hill, located to the west of the A95 Keith to Banff road at Glenbarry. A narrow single track road led passed the house at Swilebog where there was parking for two or three cars.

On approaching the parking spot I could see the route up the heather clad hillside of Knock Hill. Firstly I had to negotiate the woodland below so I walked north for a few metres before locating a track through the forest and along the edge of a small field, where the grass had recently been cut. A path then led to a gate with the open hillside beyond.

The path through the heather was quite badly eroded and was like a small trench in sections. It was a tougher ascent than I expected so I was happy when I reached the top gate. Beyond was the summit cairn and trig point. On exploring the area there was a memorial cairn to Martin, apparently the founder of the stone race, and a stone circle created by runners bringing stones to the summit.

I had been in two minds whether to take my rucksack, containing my flask, with me on this short ascent but was pleased I had as I sat at the summit in the sun drinking coffee and taking in the views of the surrounding countryside.

The return was by the ascent route.