The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Saturday 19 November 2011

Carn na Loine, Grantown.

Carn na Loine

Carn na Loine, Grantown. Section 9A.
Height – 549 metres. Map – OS Landramger 27.
Climbed - 7 November 2011. Time taken – 2 hours.
Distance 7 kilometres. Ascent – 310 metres.
Trip Report Details:


Once again the forecast was for a fine day but unfortunately I had developed a head cold and decided to head home. However I wanted to make use of the sunny weather so en-route back to Aberdeen I planned to climb the Sub 2000 Marilyn, Carn na Loine.

From the B9102 Grantown on Spey to Knockando road I drove along the unclassified single track road to Auchnahannet where I parked on the grass outside the house there. Maybe not the best of locations but the house appeared unoccupied that morning. I then walked up the track, signposted Knock of Auchnahannet, to a junction where I followed the grassy left fork.

I soon reached a gate where there was a sign requesting dogs be kept on leads. Beyond, the grassy track I headed across the hillside on a gentle gradient where sheep were grazing. The gate at the top fence was missing and not long after passing through this gap the track swung round and headed for Tom Mor, where a telecommunication tower was located.

On leaving the track the ground was rather marshy with tussocky vegetation making walking slow and awkward.  Once across this section the ground was drier with long heather and grasses to cross with the odd section of bog. I wandered up the hill trying to find the easiest route, passing several white poles which I presumed were related to the shooting of grouse.

The summit trig point was eventually reached where I had views of the distant Cairngorms, the Knock of Braemoray, which I had climbed earlier this year, and Ben Rinnes. After sitting at the summit for a while I made a more direct descent to the missing gate but underfoot conditions weren’t any easier. I then followed the track, used on the approach, back to my car.

Photos taken on walk.