The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Wednesday 9 November 2011

Beinn Mhor, Glen Beg.

Beinn Mhor

Beinn Mhor, Glen Beg. Section 9A.
Height – 471 metres. Map – OS Landranger 36.
Climbed - 22 October 2011. Time taken 1.25 hours.
Distance – 5 kilometres. Ascent – 265 metres.
Trip Report Details:


The start of this walk was the end of the public road in Glen Beg, west of Grantown on Spey, where an area of ground was capable of taking several cars. On setting off across the bridge over the Glenbeg Burn, I spoke to a runner who was out for a two hour circular route from his home.

The vehicle track was followed as it gained height before passing Glenbeg Farm. A junction of tracks was reached and I took the left fork, which entered the woods. I quickly came to second junction where on this occasion I went right. This route took me through the forest and to a locked gate in a deer fence. I climbed over this gate and was now on the open hillside.

I continued to follow the track as it swung round and over the east ridge of Beinn Mhor before re-entering the forest. At its high point I left the track and followed a muddy trail towards Beinn Mhor. The trail soon disappeared in the heather as I continued across the grouse moor, disturbing the odd bird. On reaching the summit trig point I had views of Strathspey and Grantown.

I returned across the moorland and on reaching the vehicle track took the south route back into the woods. This took me passed numerous bird feeders before I re-joined the upward route just north of Glenbeg Farm and followed the track back to my car.

Photos taken on walk.