The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 15 November 2011

Creag nan Clag, Inverness.

Creag nan Clag

Creag nan Clag, Inverness-shire. Section 9B.
Height – 430 metres. Map – OS Landranger 26.
Climbed - 5 November 2011. Time taken – 1 hour.
Distance – 2.5 kilometres. Ascent – 165 metres.
Trip Report Details:


Earlier in the day I was at the east end of Loch Ruthven to climb the Sub 2000 Marilyn, Stac Gorm.  All I required to do to reach the starting point for my next Sub 2000 Marilyn, Creag nan Clag, was to drive to the opposite end of the loch where I parked on some rough ground, below the crags. Here there was a sign for ‘The Trail of the Seven Lochs’.

There was a gully in the rock face directly above me but I opted to follow the marked trail north to a small gate which I passed through.  However I discovered that the path wasn’t going in my intended direction so I left it, walked up through the trees, and crossed a fence. A second fence, which ended on the cliff face, was followed until I approached the rock. It was then a steep climb through knee deep heather and was hard work.

I came to the top of the gully and on inspecting it an ascent by this route would have been difficult, if not impossible. The gradient began to ease and I passed a cairn which obviously wasn’t the summit. A slight dip across marshy ground led to the summit area where I visited several points which I considered to be the top, although in the end I wasn’t sure which one was the highest.

The return was by the ascent route although on reaching the fence I descended directly back to my car.

Photos taken on walk.