The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Friday 18 November 2011

Breac-Bheinn and Meall Dheirgidh, Strathcarron.

Meall Dheirgidh

Breac-Bheinn, Meall Dheirgidh and An Cabagach (HuMP), Strathcarron. Section 15A.
Height – 462 metres:  506 metres:  421 metres.
Map – OS Landranger 20.
Climbed - 6 November 2011. Time taken – 5.5 hours.
Distance – 14 kilometres. Ascent – 750 metres.
Trip Report Details:

Fine weather was forecasted for the North of Scotland so I decided to head for Starthcarron, reached from the village of Ardgay on the A836, with the intention of climbing the Sub 2000 Marilyns, Breac-Bheinn and Meall Dheirgidh.  I also had in mind the HuMP, An Cabagach, which would give me a circuit of Meall nan Eun and Loch Meall Dheirgidh.
It was a frosty morning as I drove west along the glen on the north side of the River Carron. Just beyond Braelangwell Wood I parked at the side of the road, directly opposite a gate in the deer fence. Once geared up I set off through this unlocked gate and along a wet and overgrown track. The track was slightly drier once away from the road and it later crossed a small stream before reaching the derelict Whale Cottage, where the roof had collapsed although the stairs were still standing.
I was expecting the track to end here but it continued north to a gate in a stock fence and then towards the Allt nan Eun. I followed the track, which was wet in places, as it headed up the glen avoiding some marshy ground close to the stream. When the track began to swing away from Breac-Bheinn and towards the north side of Meall nan Eun, I left it and dropped to the Allt nan Eun, which was easily crossed.

 I made an angled ascent of the south-west side of Breac-Bheinn trying to avoid the worst of the long vegetation. Higher up the gradient eased and I headed over some peat hags to the trig point, which I was aware wasn’t the highest point. Here I had views down Strathcarron to the Dornoch Firth. I then walked over some rough ground to the highest point where I took a break with views of the hills and glens to the north.
After my break I descended west over heathery ground aiming for the col beside the edge of the Birchfield Wood which was surrounded by a deer fence. Initially I followed this fence before making a more direct approach, over some wet ground, to the foot of Meall Dheirgidh’s East Ridge, where     I rejoined the fence which continued up the ridge. It was a steady climb and on arrival at the summit area I saw the cairn on the other side of the fence. I therefore clambered over the fence, visited the cairn and the area which was supposedly the highest point.

I returned to the other side of the fence and descended west then south as I made my way towards the head of the Allt Coire Ruchain gully. A few deer spotted me and quickly disappeared. An easy climb of the north ridge led to the summit area of An Cabagach. Here peat hags had to be worked round before I reached the highest point which appeared to be a clump of heather mixed with mosses. Despite a cool breeze I had lunch here with views of the hills around the Alladale Estate and the distant mountains of Assynt.
After lunch I crossed to the south-east knoll then followed All Terrain vehicle tracks to the house at Sgodachail and a pleasant stroll down the glen back to my car.

Photos taken on walk.