The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Friday 11 November 2011

Beinn Domhnaill, Bonar Bridge.

Beinn Domhnaill

Beinn Domhnaill, Achormlarie. Section 16D.
Height - 347 metres. Map – OS Landranger 21.
Climbed - 23 October 2011. Time taken – 2.5 hours.
Distance – 8.5 kilometres. Ascent – 230 metres.
Trip Report Details:


The Sub 2000 Marilyn, Beinn Domhnaill, was located around 3 miles, as the crow flies, from Creag a’Ghobhair, which I had climbed earlier that day. I could have combined them together if the path through the forest surrounding Beinn Domhnaill existed but this would have involved a long walk back to the start. I therefore opted for a northerly approach where I knew a vehicle track ran through the forest.

I parked at the south side of Loch Buidhe, accessed from Bonar Bridge along a single track road, the latter stages of which get no winter maintenance. There was insufficient space to leave my vehicle beside the gate leading to the forest track so I parked around 300 metres further east and walked back along the road.

The large metal gate was locked but a small wicket gate gave access to the vehicle track which was followed below electric transmission lines and into the forest. The track was initially a bit muddy in places as some forestry operations had been taking place. However it was an easy stroll on a gradual gradient as the track led me onto the west ridge of Beinn Domhnaill.

Once I reached a clearance on the east side I left the track and commenced the ascent of Beinn Domhnaill crossing some rough ground and a mixture of vegetation. The summit cairn was reached and once again I had views from the Dornoch Firth up to the hills of Caithness and round towards the mountains of Assynt. I continued further east for better views of the Dornoch Firth and also to find a suitable location for lunch.

After my snack I returned to the south shore of Loch Buidhe by the ascent route.

Photos taken on walk.