The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Tom Bailgeann, Inverness.

Tom Bailgeann

Tom Bailgeann, Inverness-shire. Section 9B.
Height – 464 metres. Map – OS Landranger 26.
Climbed - 5 November 2011. Time taken – 1.25 hours.
Distance – 2.75 kilometres. Ascent – 220 metres.
Trip Report Details:


Tom Bailgeann was the last of the four hills I intended climbing that day as it would be the easiest with a vehicle track leading to the telecommunications tower on the summit.

The start of this walk was the B862 just south of Loch Duntelchaig where parking was a bit tight on a bend. A locked gate prevents vehicles from proceeding but the ‘Police Sign’ hung on the gate and stating access is restricted is misleading in terms of the Land Reform Scotland Act 2003.

Once beyond the gate I followed the track as it passed below electric transmission lines and wound its way uphill, steeply in places. The track was also quite rough and there were a few daisies in bloom, well that’s what they appeared to be, which I thought unusual for November. As height was gained the track deteriorated and became very wet and boggy. Pieces of wood had been laid to assist progress through these sections as well as another track off to the north making the area a bit of a mess.

I managed to avoid most of the bog and on approaching the telecommunications tower the rain commenced. I reached the summit trig point and sought shelter behind one of the nearby buildings while I ate my lunch. Once the rain had ceased and I had finished eating I strolled over to the west top where I had views of Inverness, Loch Ness and the hills to the west.

The return was by the upward route although I avoided sections of the track by descending through the vegetation.

Photos taken on walk.