The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Monday 14 November 2011

Stac Gorm, Inverness.

Stac Gorm

Stac Gorm, Inverness. Section 9B.
Height – 446 metres. Map – OS Landranger 26.
Climbed - 5 November 2011. Time taken – 1.25 hours.
Distance – 2.5 kilometres. Ascent – 210 metres.
Trip Report Details:


After an earlier ascent of the nearby Sub 2000 Marilyn, Stac na Cathaig, it was only a short drive to the Loch Ruthven Nature Reserve at the east end of the loch. Here I planned to leave my vehicle but on arrival discovered the gate had been hung to prevent it opening. I was therefore forced to park on the verge opposite.

I crossed the road and a single strand of barbed wire fencing to reach an area of long grass. A few marks in the grass led to a path which headed towards the large boulder below Stac Gorm. The path was wet and muddy in places but the vegetation soon changed to long heather which partially obscured the path as it wound its way uphill.

The boulder was passed and I continued on my ascent through the heather and onto the north-east ridge of Stac Gorm where I had views down Strath Nairn. A heather and rocky ridge was climbed to reach the cairn on Stac Gorm. A nearby rock appeared slightly higher than the base of the cairn.

After a coffee break taking in the views of Loch Ruthven and the surrounding hills I returned by the ascent route.

Photos taken on walk.