The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Wednesday 9 November 2011

Ord Ban, Aviemore.

Ord Ban
Ord Ban, Aviemore. Section 8.
Height – 428 metres. Map – OS Landranger 36.
Climbed - 22 October 2011. Time taken – 1.25 hours.
Distance – 3.5 kilometres. Ascent – 210 metres.
Trip Report Deatils:


I parked near the monument at the junction of the B970 with the access road leading to Loch an Eilein, just south of Aviemore, before walking the short distance along the access road to a field on its south side. I clambered over a tied down gate, crossed the field, a couple other gates and onto an old vehicle track.

This track wound its way up through some trees and to a fenced enclosure. The edge of this enclosure was followed, as the gradient increased, to some more trees with their magnificent autumnal colours. Beyond the trees, long heather was waded through and here it was rather windy. The gradient eased as I headed to the summit boulder and trig point.

Due to the cloudy conditions the views from the summit were rather disappointing so once I had taken a few photographs I descended towards Loch an Eilein. It was quite steep in places but lower down I located another old vehicle track which zigzagged downhill to just north of the car park, where the attendant was doing good business collecting parking fees. It was then a short walk along the tarred road back to my car.

That completed the Marilyns in Section 8, The Cairngorms.

Photos taken on walk.