The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Sunday 13 November 2011

The Bochel, Glenlivet.

The Bochel

The Bochel, Glenlivet. Section 21A.
Height – 491 metres. Map – OS Landranger 36.
Climbed - 4 November 2011. Time taken – 50 minutes.
Distance – 3 kilometres. Ascent – 200 metres.
Trip Report Details:


The Bochel was the only Sub 2000 Marilyn that I hadn’t climbed in Section 21 of the Relative Hills of Britain list and as I was heading to Inverness I decided to leave early and make a slight diversion to climb this hill.

At Tomintoul I headed for Knockandhu then along the road to Chapeltown of Glenlivet. Just east of the passing place beside the access road to Bochel Farm I managed to get my car off the carriageway.

It was a mild afternoon as I set off on a decline along the tarred road towards Bochel Farm. Once over the Crombie Water the road was quite rough as it climbed out of the dip and towards the farm.  Just before the buildings I followed a right fork and almost immediately turned left up another track, passing a storage shed. This led to a set of gates which were open. Beyond them I passed through a wide gap in the trees and onto the open hillside.

I stayed well east of the trees as the ground was a bit marshy with a several small holes which made for awkward walking.  Higher up the hill was heather clad and the lanky heather slowed me down slightly. However with a bit of effort I was soon at the summit cairn where I had good views of the surrounding countryside, including the Braes of Glenlivet and the Ladder Hills.

After a few minutes at the summit I returned to my car by the ascent route.

Photos taken on walk.