The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Saturday, 3 December 2011

Brown Muir, Moray.

Brown Muir

Brown Muir, Teindland, Moray. Section 9A.
Height - 339 metres. Map – OS Landranger 28.
Climbed - 2 December 2011. Time taken 1.75 hours.
Distance – 6 kilometres. Ascent – 175 metres.

I was keen to get back out onto the hills as I had nearly three weeks away due to a head cold and some poor weather conditions. Unfortunately the weekend forecast was for more stormy weather. With Friday morning looking promising, at least in the North-East of Scotland, I decided to climb a couple of Sub 2000 Marilyns south of Elgin.

The start for the ascent of Brown Muir was the end of the public, single track, unclassified road at Teindland, reached from the B9123. I parked on the verge at this crossroads, with tracks leading to Teindland Mains, Burnside and Moniemouies Farms.

My ascent of Brown Muir was via the latter farm so I crossed the gate and walked along the track, which was icy in places, to its ruined farm buildings. The information on my Ordnance Survey map was incorrect as the vehicle track continued along the edge of a field and across the moorland. There were at least three gates to cross. The map showed a vehicle track coming up from Humbreck Farm but there was no evidence of it. The only vehicular access to the telecommunication tower, located on the summit of Brown Muir, was by the route I walked.

It was an easy stroll along this track but it was cloudier and windier than I expected. On looking north beyond Lhanbryde and Elgin was the Moray Firth and briefly I saw the snow capped mountains of Sutherland.

The summit area was reached where the trig point had an unusual cover. However apparently the highest point was further south-east so I sought out an area of heather which I thought might be the summit although there was nothing there to confirm this.

 I returned to the telecommunications tower where I managed to get a bit of shelter from the cold wind for a cup of coffee before returning to my car by the upward route.

Photos taken on walk.