The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Friday 16 December 2011

Meall an Tarsaid, Invernessshire.

Meall an Tarsaid

Meall an Tarsaid, Stratherrick, Inverness-shire. Section 9B.
Height – 492 metres. Map – OS Landranger 34.
Climbed - 11 December 2011. Time taken – 1.25 hours.
Distance – 2.25 kilometres. Ascent – 210 metres.
Trip Report Details:


The Sub 2000 Marilyn, Meall an Tarsaid is located to the south of the hamlet of Whitebridge and east of the B862, the main route to the east of Loch Ness. Examining the map I couldn’t see an obvious ascent route so I drove along the unclassified road to the west of Meall an Tarsaid and as far as the road end at Ardochy. However I failed to locate a suitable route, mainly due to a new deer fence which had been constructed along the east side of this road.

My next option was the road to Garragie, to the north of Meall an Tarsaid. Here again a new deer fence had been constructed but just before the end of the woods and the Allt Glaic Breabaig I spotted a gate in the deer fence and decided to use it to access the hill.

I parked at the edge of a nearby passing place and on returning to the gate found the surrounding ground to be wet and marshy. There was a wicket gate at the side which I used before following traces of a marshy vehicle track through the birch woods. These tracks soon led to open ground and to a small transmission line which probably fed electricity the houses in the glen. The tracks and marshy ground ended here to be replaced by long heather and a few boulders.

There were a few crags ahead so I aimed for the obvious gully to the south of the summit. This ascent was quite steep with a few snow patches but once up the gully I headed over to the summit cairn with views of the snow covered Monadhliath Mountains. Although this was supposedly Meall an Tarsaid’s highest point the knoll to the north looked higher so I strolled over there. However I still couldn’t decide. I found shelter from a cold breeze behind the cairn for lunch while looking down on Whitebridge and towards Glen Albyn. The return was by the ascent route.

I later ascertained that until a few years ago the north top was the highest point but the south top is now decreed to be the summit.

Photos taken on walk.