The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Saturday 24 December 2011

Torlum, Crieff.

Torlum

Torlum, Crieff. Section 1B
Height – 393 metres. Map – OS Landranger 57.
Climbed - 18 December 2011. Time taken – 1.75 hours.
Distance – 5 kilometres. Ascent – 305 metres.
Trip Report Details:


Earlier in the day I climbed Ben Clach so it was only a short drive east, along some frosty and icy side roads, to the start of the Sub 2000 Marilyn, Torlum. I left my car in the bellmouth of the forest track directly opposite a cottage located north of the road leading to The Balloch. It may have been possible to commence the ascent from opposite the road to The Balloch but I never checked to ascertain if there were any suitable parking facilities here.

I entered Torlum Wood and almost immediately took a left turn along another forest track passing an unusually styled picnic table. Its location at the side of the track, which seemed infrequently used, appeared rather odd to me. Further on I joined the track from the alternative starting point and here there were signs for forest operations, although none mentioned no access. I followed this track as it gradually climbed through the forest with piles of cut timber at the side. It looked like they were thinning the trees rather than clearing areas of the forest.

A large metal deer gate was reached but the track beyond wasn’t shown on my map so I continued along the mapped track which made a slight descent and led to another junction where I took the left fork. The tracks here were a bit churned up but I could now see the hillside ahead so I followed an old track along the edge of the forest. When this came to an end I was confronted by a steep climb through dead bracken, which was rather hard work. I was aware from reading a report on Scottish Hills that there was a path leading to the top but I was close to the summit before I located and followed it to the summit trig point.

I had my lunch sheltering behind the trig point from a cool breeze. Afterwards I followed the path back down the hill and into the forest. Here I was confronted by several fallen trees which blocked the route. I heard the barking of roe deer but couldn’t see them for the low sun. A large metal gate in the deer fence was reached and passed through before I continued along the track, which took me to the metal gate mentioned on the ascent. I then returned to my car by the upward route.

Photos taken on walk.