The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Thursday 22 December 2011

Ben Clach, Comrie.

Ben Clach

Ben Clach, Comrie. Section 1B.
Height - 533 metres. Map – OS Landranger 57.
Climbed - 18 December 2011. Time taken – 2.25 hours.
Distance – 6 kilometres. Ascent – 310 metres.
Trip Report Details:


Several times I’ve thought about climbing Ben Clach but was put off because it was used by the military. However I read recently they were only there infrequently and as it was a Sunday I thought it might be okay.

 The B827 Braco to Comrie Road was white with frost as I headed to my planned starting point, Tig-na-Blair Farm. There were no red flags flying which was a good start but on reaching the road leading to the farm I couldn’t locate a suitable parking place. I had thought about asking the farmer but read that a walker had upset him so I suspected he might not be pro-walker. I eventually parked my vehicle on the verge about 500 metres to the south of the farm, although I wouldn’t really recommend this location.

Once geared up for a frosty start I walked along the main road before heading up the icy farm road to Tigh-na-Blair, through between the farm buildings and to beyond a cottage. Here the track headed through a gate but I opted to follow an old vehicle track that ran along the north side of an unnamed stream. At a junction of streams I easily forded the burn, crossed a field of rough pasture and headed for a gate I had spotted.

Beyond this gate the ground would normally be boggy but fortunately it was frozen with some snow cover. This made for steady progress but higher up the snow covering the heather was softer and this slowed me down as it wouldn’t hold my weight. The summit area was reached but there was no cairn unless it was concealed under the snow. I wandered around the summit before selecting a clump of heather which I decided was the highest point.

There were good views of the snow covered Ben Vorlich, Stuc a’Chroin and adjoining hills. A cold breeze was blowing here but I found a small dip, where I had a quick cuppa while looking towards the Ochils, the Forth Valley, and what I thought was Arthur’s Seat and the Pentland Hills. My return was by the upward route.

Photos taken on walk.