The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Thursday 7 April 2011

Turin Hill, Angus.

Turin Hill

Turin Hill, Angus. Section 26.
Height – 252 metres. Map – OS Landranger – 54.
Climbed - 27 March 2011. Time taken – 1 hour.
Distance – 4 kilometres. Ascent – 105 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I took a slight diversion on my return home from climbing the Sub 2000 Marilyns, Crock and Meall Mor to enable me to pop up Turin Hill. Instead of returning north on the A90 I drove through Forfar and took the B9134 towards Brechin before turning into the access road for Fordmouth Farm. The only parking I could find, on what appeared to be a public road, was on the verge.

I set off south along a track passed the farm and the property at Back of Turin Hill. After passing through a couple of gates I entered a field of cattle. As well as the usual barbed wire fences there were electric fences, some with twin wires and others set back making any crossing difficult.

A gate at the top of the field led to the west side of the March Wood, which also had an electric fence surrounding it. At the top end of this strip of tress I crossed a couple of gates and made my final ascent of Turin Hill. There was lots of evidence on the ground that cattle frequent this area.

I crossed a stone dyke via a wooden stile to reach the summit cairn where I had views of Forfar, Rescobie Loch and the Angus Hills. I re-crossed the dyke by another stile and visited the trig point before returning by the ascent route. I did consider a more direct descent but a barbed wire topped fence with electric wires on either side changed my mind.

Photos taken on walk.