The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Friday 15 April 2011

Meikle Bin, Stirlingshire.

Meikle Bin

Meikle Bin, Stirlingshire. Section 26.
Height – 570 metres. Map – OS Landranger 57.
Climbed - 9 April 2011. Time taken – 2.5 hours.
Distance – 10 kilometres. Ascent – 420 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I was looking for a short walk as later that day the plan was to spend the night under the stars in the Southern Highlands. This Sub 2000 Marilyn appeared to fit my criteria.

I arrived at the car park on the B818 Fintry to Denny Road opposite Todholes Farm to find several vehicles already parked there. It wasn’t something I expected as on most Sub 2000 hills I never meet or see anyone.

Once geared up I set off south along the vehicle track which took me to the west end of the Carron Water Reservoir. The track then headed through the forest before returning towards the reservoir and continuing to the bridge over the River Carron. Here I met the first group of walkers.

Beyond the river I came to a ‘T’ junction and followed the right track which took me away from the reservoir and I gradually gained some height. A staggered crossroads junction was next. It was cairned so I took the second right and commenced a steeper but easy climb through the forest. Here I passed more walkers and a couple who were on their descent.

I was on the lookout for a grassy firebreak and came to a muddy path, obviously mistakenly used by walkers, which quickly came to an end amongst the trees. I returned to the track and a short distance south found the firebreak. A muddy path led through the trees and the ground became rather wet and boggy as it emerged onto the open hillside. Here I passed another couple.

It was a steady climb up the grassy north-west ridge which led to Meikle Bin’s summit trig point. Some of the earlier low cloud had lifted from the north although the views were hazy. Unfortunately there were no distant views to the south.

After a cup of coffee I returned by the ascent route with a slight diversion at the summit to look at the remains of a crashed aircraft.

Photos taken on walk.