The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Friday 22 April 2011

Carn a'Bhodaich, Inverness-shire.

Carn a'Bhodaich

Carn a’Bhodaich, Inverness-shire. Section 12B.
Height – 501 metres. Map – OS Landranger 26.
Climbed - 17 April 2011. Time taken – 1.75 hours.
Distance – 4.5 kilometres. Ascent – 220 metres.
Trip Report Details:

The day’s plan was to climb a couple of the Sub 2000 Marilyns on the west side of Loch Ness. The first was Carn a’Bhodaich which I decided to approach from the west as the main A82 road along the shore of the loch isn’t the safest place to walk or park. It also had the advantage of starting from around the 300 metres mark rather than near sea level.

I drove north from Abriachan to Ladycairn and parked opposite the farm as the banking there had been levelled. I doubt if it was for the benefit of hill walkers but no one came to object. Once geared up I walked the few metres north to the vehicle track that headed east towards my destination.

The track was obviously little used these days and consisted of several wet and boggy areas. After a few minutes of walking the track entered the forest and its condition deteriorated even further. Concentration was necessary so as not to loose the track as it wound its way through the trees. Despite these conditions it was an interesting stroll listening to all the bird noises.

I soon emerged from the forest and the track continued on a slight gradient up the side of the trees and narrowed. At an obvious bend in the track I left it and climbed through deep heather onto the Carn a’Bhodaich’s West Top where I had some good views on this sunny morning. I walked north-east descending slightly before climbing to Carn a’Bhodaich’s trig point. Here I sheltered from a slight breeze looking out over the Black Isle while I partook of a cuppa.

The return was more direct through some deep heather. I rejoined the track but decided to bypass the section through the forest but found the going rough in places as well as being waterlogged.

Photos taken on walk.