The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Monday 25 April 2011

Meall na h-Eilrig, Inverness-shire.

Meall na h-Eilrig

Meall na h-Eilrig, Inverness-shire. Section 12B.
Height – 465 metres. Map – OS Landranger – 26.
Climbed - 17 April 2011. Time taken – 2.25 hours.
Distance – 6.5 kilometres. Ascent – 250 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I had considered climbing this Sub 2000 Marilyn from near Drumnadrochit but as I had just completed an ascent of Carn a’Bhodaich from north of Abriachan I didn’t think it was worth the extra drive and expense. I therefore travelled the few miles to Abriachan Forest, just west of Abriachan and Loch Laide. The car park was busy as was the children’s play area within the forest.

It was sunny as I walked south following a forest vehicle track with piles of cut timber at the side. This route is part of the Great Glen Way and I passed several walkers on this stretch of track. Where the Great Glen Way commenced its descent towards Loch Ness I continued along the vehicle track, through a gate, to Achpopuli Farmhouse.

At the side of the farm building I crossed a gate and entered a field where there were traces of vehicle tracks but they soon disappeared. I descended to what looked like a gate but was in fact just some wood and fencing topped with barbed wire. Once across this obstacle the ground was wet as I followed several grassy rakes working my way through fir trees that seemed to have been planted haphazardly. I managed to avoid most of them and came out on top of a knoll with my first view of my destination.

A slight descent took me over boggy and tussocky grass until I reached some more trees where holes had been dug and were full of water. These holes were hidden by the heather so I was pleased when I was clear of this area and making my final climb to the summit trig point on Meall na h-Eilrig.

There were fine views from the summit and with the sun out it was a good location for lunch. Afterwards I returned roughly by the ascent route looking for easier terrain but to no avail.

Photos taken on walk.