The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Wednesday 20 April 2011

Gleann Innis an Loichel, Wester Ross.

Meallan Odhar Doire nan Gillean

Meallan Odhar Doire nan Gillean and Beinn Dubh an Iaruinn, Gleann Innis an Loichel, Wester Ross. Section 12B.
Height - 601 metres/591 metres. Map – OS Landranger 25.
Climbed - 16 April 2011. Time taken – 4.5 hours.
Distance – 11 kilometres. Ascent – 750 metres.
Trip Report Details:

It was just after 9am when I arrived at the locked gate at Inchmore and on gaining access I had a pleasant drive up Glen Strathfarrar to Loch Monar. I crossed the Monar Dam and the narrower Loichel Dam before entering Gleann Innis an Loichel where I got the feeling of remoteness. At the end of this tarred road, beside the Uisge Misgeach Power Station, there was a large area of waste ground where I left my car. Nearby, water was being forced from a pipe causing an extensive area of spray.

I walked west up the glen following a vehicle track and after a kilometre came to a small dam and inlet where wooden slats aided the crossing of pools of water. I continued up the track on the north side of the Allt Doire nan Gillean passing a waterfall. When the track began to level out I commenced the ascent of Meallan Odhar Doire nan Gillean.

It was a steady but reasonable climb initially over some wet vegetation. Higher up a few rocks had to be avoided before I reached the east ridge where it was cold and windy. It was then an easy walk to the summit rock on Meallan Odhar Doire nan Gillean where I took a break sheltering behind the rock The hills to the north were cloud covered while those to the south just had a topping of cloud.

Afterwards I walked north to Meallan Odhar but had to stop to put on more gear due to the cold wind. On reaching this summit I descended its north-east ridge and thankfully out of the wind. Here some deer were sheltering but they quickly ran off. The descent was fairly steep with some rough walking and at the col with Beinn Dubh it was wet and boggy. Once across this area an easy climb took me to the top of Beinn Dubh. The mountains on the other side of Loch Monar were now more visible as the cloud base had lifted slightly.

From Beinn Dubh I followed the undulating ridge to the Weat Top of Beinn Dubh an Iaruinn where I was able to look down into Gleann Innis an Loichel and my starting point. The undulations continued as I walked north-east to the summit of Beinn Dubh an Iaruinn which is 3 metres higher than its West Top. Here I found some shelter for my lunch with views of the Monar Dam and Meall Innis an Loichel which I was to climb later that day.

After lunch I returned along the south west ridge before descending steeply, avoiding some crags, to my car.

Photos taken on walk.