The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 5 April 2011

Crock, Angus.

Crock

Crock, Angus. Section 7.
Height – 554 metres. Map – OS Landranger 44.
Climbed - 27 March 2011. Time taken – 2.75 hours.
Distance – 11.5 kilometres. Ascent – 335 metres.
Trip Report Details:

Looking at the map for this Sub 2000 Marilyn I noted that it was surrounded by forest and that none of the tracks shown led to the clearance above the tree line, where the summit was located. I observed Crock's east side when I climbed the nearby Hare Cairn but the felled timber would have made for some difficult walking. I decided to make a westerly approach but beforehand I checked out the 'Scottish Hills' forum where I found some valuable information.

I parked in the car park beside Freuchies, which is located just off the B951 east of Kirkton of Glenisla. It was a lovely sunny morning when I set off along the forest track which rose above the outflow from Loch Shandra. This track is part of the 'Right of Way' to Glens Prosen and Clova via the Kilbo Path. On reaching the loch the track opened out to the west with a view of Mount Blair and its surrounding hills. It then climbed steadily to the house at Tulloch where the occupants have grand westerly views. Just beyond this dwelling the main track re-entered the forest and after around a kilometre I reached an area where the trees had been harvested.

My map showed a path heading off east and I located a grassy track at the north end of the clearing. The track obviously wasn't in regular use but it made for an easy stroll to the col between Crock and Craigie Law where I had views of the Angus Munros, Driesh and Mayar.

It was here I expected to encounter problems getting through the forest but as mentioned on the Scottish Hills thread there were no difficulties. A track entered a dark tunnel of trees with a layer of pine needles covering the route. A fallen tree had been cleared and the shell from my first bird's egg of the year was lying on the track. The gradient increased slightly as I progressed through this tunnel. Daylight could be seen in the distance as the track became wet and marshy with some lying snow.

On emerging from the forest it was an easy walk over short heathery ground to the summit cairn where I had extensive views of the surrounding hills and countryside. Once I had a coffee break I returned to the start by the outward route.

Photos taken on walk.