The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Meall Mor, Perthshire.

Meall Mor

Meall Mor, Perthshire.
Height – 551 metres. Map – OS Landranger 43.
Climbed - 27 March 2011. Time taken – 1 hour.
Distance – 3 kilometres. Ascent – 185 metres.
Trip Report Details:

Earlier in the day I was on the nearby Sub 2000 Marilyn, Crock, so it was only a short drive west to the single track Brewlands Bridge to Blacklunans Road. I parked at the high point on this road, the boundary between Angus and Perthshire, where a vehicle track headed south.

I set off along the track on a steady gradient but after around five minutes I was surprised to find a wide clearance between two areas of forest as this wasn't shown on my map. I didn't have a plan for escaping from the forest so I decided to use this heather covered clearance. Initially there were traces of animal tracks but higher up they were fainter as the ground steepened.

A couple of stone dykes and fences were crossed before the ground became a bit rocky. Beyond these rocks I crossed the county boundary marked by a stone dyke and followed it south-east round a few snow patches to the summit cairn. Here I had extensive views of the Perthshire and Angus countryside.

There was now a cool breeze so I sheltered behind the stone dyke for lunch before returning by the upward route.

The summit of Meall Mor is on the county boundary but I have shown it as in Perthshire as the majority of the walk was in this county.

That completes Region 7 (Braemar to Montrose) of The Relative Hills of Britain.

Photos taken on walk.