The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 25 May 2010

Moncreiffe Hill, Perth.

Moncreiffe Hill

Moncreiff Hill, Perth. – Section 26.
Height – 223 metres. Map – OS Landranger 58.
Climbed – 21 May 2010. Time taken – 1.25 hours.
Distance – 4.5 kilometres. Height climbed – 180 metres.
Trip Report Details:


I was heading south so this short hike fitted into my plans. I drove out of the City of Perth on the A912 and took the road signposted to Rhynd. At Tarsappie I looked for a suitable parking area but found none so returned to the houses to the west of West Tarsappie where the street was wide enough to permit parking.

It was fairly warm and sunny when I set off along the Rynd road and beyond Tarsappie Cottages I walked up the vehicle track to Upper Tarsappie where there was a dead cow, probably awaiting uplifting by the knackers yard. I went through a wicket gate and along the edge of a field where some of the cattle were interested in my presence, but stayed far enough away.

At the top end of the field I passed through another wicket gate and entered the forest where there was an information board. The walk through the forest was warm and humid and I ignored the first vehicle track to my left, the surface of which was been upgraded. At the junction with a second track I followed it as it wound its way towards Moredun Top, the summit of Moncreiff Hill. The final climb was a steep grassy bank to a large cairn.

I sat at the top for a while enjoying the refreshing breeze looking down on the motorway heading for Edinburgh and the village of Bridge of Earn.

The return involved a slight detour as I had seen a new path on my ascent and a sign advising visitors that the Woodland Trust, who owned the forest, had acquired some ground to the north for a new car park, so access will be easier from the Perth side of the hill.

I descended by this new path but unfortunately it wasn’t complete and I had to clamper over some barbed wire fencing, east of Tarsappie Cottage, and walk back along the road to my car.

Photos taken on walk.