The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Thursday 13 May 2010

Carn Daimh, Glenlivet, Moray.

Summit Sign - Carn Daimh

Carn Daimh, Glelivet, Moray. – Section 21A.
Height – 570 metres. Map – OS Landranger 36.
Climbed - 3 May 2010. Time taken – 2.75 hours.
Distance – 8.5 kilometres. Height climbed – 340 metres.
Trip Report Details:


I was en-route to Aberdeen from Inverness and the plan was to stop and climb this Sub 2000 Scottish Marilyn, Carn Daimh. I drove along the B9009 Tomintoul to Dufftown Road and on the northern outskirts of Tomnavulin took the unclassified Gallowhill Road and parked in a signposted car park. This car parking area was just the bellmouth of the access road into the forest and was a bit muddy but I suppose that could be put down to the harsh winter we have encountered.

Once booted up I set off into the forest and soon came across the sign posts for the Carn Daimh Circular Walk. This route took me through the forest, where sheep were grazing, and along the edge of a field. A sheep was in the process of giving birth, although it looked as if it was having problems.

The path joined a vehicle track which by-passed Eastertown Farm and headed towards Westertown Farm with several sheep and their lambs loose on the track. One of the fields looked just like a mud bath with sheep feeding from feeders. With a cold wind blowing it wasn’t the ideal weather for lambing and in fact I spotted a few dead lambs.

Beyond Westertown Farm the signposted route took me across fields and into a forested area where it started to snow. The track through the forest was blocked by fallen trees and I made an attempt to go round a couple but soon gave up and returned to the forest edge. I crossed a fence, topped with barbed wire, and climbed up the edge of the forest, through some deep heather. Here I met a couple who had abandoned the walk due to the falling snow. They had in fact done better than me as they had negotiated all the fallen trees on the track.

After a short climb through the heather I came to a gate and the route of the Speyside Way, which was duly marked. The snow shower had ceased but the path at this point was concealed by lying snow. I followed the line of the Speyside Way and once beyond the tree line the path was clear and I followed it to the summit of Carn Diamh. The winter weather had obviously caused a lot of damage to trees, fences and gates. I managed to find some shelter for lunch behind the viewpoint indicator, the face of which was missing. While there I could see the weather fronts passing over Ben Rinnes, the Lecht Hills and the Cairngorms.

Once fed, I descended the north ridge of Carn Diamh where I met a couple on their ascent. Lower down I followed the signposted route for the Smugglers Trail which took me across a heathery hillside, through some trees, and to the track at Westertown Farm. I then returned by the outward route. The sheep I thought was having problems had given birth to her lamb which was making its first few faltering steps.

Photos taken on walk.