The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Monday 10 May 2010

Carn Faire nan Con, Easter Ross.

Carn Faire nan Con

Carn Faire nan Con, Easter Ross. - Section 12A.
Height 370 metres. Map – OS Landranger 26.
Climbed – 1 May 2010. Time taken – 1.75 hours.
Distance – 5.5 kilometres. Height climbed – 320 metres.
Trip Report Details:

On studying the map it appeared possible to climb this hill from the north using a path accessed from the A835 south of Garve.

I parked in a lay-by on the west side of the main road immediately before the 40 miles per hour speed limit sign as I entered Garve. I walked back along the road to an open gate that led to a vehicle track. The track, which was eroded in places, climbed through some trees with views back to Loch Garve. The only downside of this route was the pylons and electricity poles that followed the line of the track.

At the highest point in the track I followed the line of the electricity poles, one of which had lost its stanchion support. After around 200 metres I left these poles behind and climbed the heathery hillside. Amongst the heather, and sheltered from a breeze, were lots of midges, so the harsh winter hadn’t killed them off. Fortunately they weren’t biting and I soon arrived on the summit and back into the breeze.

The summit has two cairns, a short distance apart, but I had no way of telling which was the highest point. I took a short break here with views of Little Wyvis, Loch Luichart, and the Sub 2000 Marilyns, Sgurr Marcasaidh and Creag Loch nan Dearcag, which I had climbed back in March this year.

The return was by the ascent route.

Photos taken on walk.