The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Friday 14 May 2010

Mile Hill, Angus.

Mile Hill

Mile Hill, Angus. – Section 7.
Height – 410 metres. Map – OS Landranger 53.
Climbed - 8 May 2010. Time taken – 1.75 hours.
Distance – 3.5 kilometres. Height climbed – 245 metres.
Trip Report Details:


The Sub 2000 Scottish Marilyn, Mile Hill, is in Angus, south of the Graham, Cat Law. I drove from Kirriemuir, along the Glen Prosen Road and onto the single track road that led to Balintore. My plan was to climb Mile Hill from Auldallan following paths shown on my map. However on arrival at this location I found parking impossible so drove to Knowhead of Auldallan where there would be some parking if permission could be obtained but there was no one around. I therefore drove back along the road and found a section of verge where I could get my car completely off the road.

At a gate I followed a farm track downhill to the Quharity Burn where on either side it was a bit wet and covered in rushes. The next problem was electric and barbed wire fences that needed to be negotiated. Once across these barriers I climbed over the shoulder of a small hill and reached the derelict buildings at Gairlaw. Here I passed through a couple of gates, again with electric fences on both sides, and a field. Lapwings were flying around making loud noises so I was concerned that there was a nest nearby and carefully crossed the field spotting the nest, well a few bits of straw, containing two eggs, which I photographed.

I passed through a gate at the top end of the field, again with the standard electric fence, and onto the open hillside with many rabbits scurrying around and disappearing into burrows. A short steady climb took me to the summit of Mile Hill, marked by a couple of stones. I found some shelter from a keen wind for a cup of coffee looking across to Loch of Lintrathen and the Carse of Gowrie.

On my return I descended slightly east of the ascent route but this was a bit more complicated due to the layout of electric fences, a field of cattle, and the Quharity Burn with its electric barrier. Once beyond the burn a new fence was followed up to the public road and a short walk to my car.

Photos taken on walk.