The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 11 May 2010

Torr Achilty, Easter Ross.

Torr Achilty

Torr Achilty, Easter Ross. – Section 12A.
Height – 256 metres. OS Landranger 26.
Climbed - 1 May 2010. Time taken – 1.5 hours.
Distance – 2 kilometres. Height limbed – 240 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I had read on Scottish Hills that access to Torr Achilty, from Loch Achonachie, wouldn’t be possible after June this year as they were sealing off the dam from public use. Having been on the nearby, Sub 2000 Marilyn, Carn Faire nan Con, I thought this would be an opportunity to climb Torr Achilty before this route was barred.

At Marybank on the A832, I drove along the road towards Strathconon and at the Torr Achilty dam parked amongst some works equipment. I walked the short stretch to the new gates, which were unlocked, and read the notices. Some were in relation to health and safety as there were works taking place on the dam itself but fortunately not at the weekends. One note stated that the dam would be closed, due to security and safety, from June 2010.

I passed through the substantial side gate and noted that the metal spiked fencing was extensive, stretching partially across the dam, making access when the gates are locked pretty impossible to walkers. I commenced the crossing of the dam with views up Loch Achonachie and down the River Conon. On the opposite side of the dam I encountered the same extensive fencing and gates.

A tarred road was followed for a few metres before I left it and commenced the ascent of Torr Achilty. It wasn’t an enjoyable experience as I encountered dead bracken, a few trees, rocks, long heather, gorse and broom. Higher up the gradient eased and I reached the summit marked by a few boulders.

I ate my lunch here looking down to Contin and across to the Beauly Firth. From here I also had a view up Strathconon and to the hill I had climbed earlier in the day.

On the descent I tried to find an easier route but without success and in fact had to avoid several steep rocky areas. At least I had added another Sub 2000 Marilyn to my list, which will soon be impossible by this route.

Photos taken on walk.