The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 1 June 2010

King's Seat, Angus.

King's Seat

King’s Seat, Angus. – Section 26.
Height – 377 metres. Map – OS Landranger 53.
Climbed - 24 May 2010. Time taken – 2.25 hours.
Distance – 6.5 kilometres. Height climbed – 380 metres.
Trip Report Details:


I was en-route home and decided to climb the Sub 2000 Marilyn, King’s Seat, located to the north of the A90 Perth to Dundee Road.

At Inchture I left the A90 and drove along the B953 through Abernyte towards Balbeggie. This road runs along the south side of King’s Seat but I didn’t observe any suitable parking area so I continued round to Collace where a path led to Dunsinane Hill. I managed to get my vehicle off the road here without obstructing the two farm gates but it may be easier to park in Collace and walk the short distance back to the start.

I passed through a wicket gate after reading about the history of Dunsinane Hill. There was a note asking walkers to take an alternative route during lambing but fortunately the period had just expired. It was a steady climb along the edge of the field and onto the heathery hillside and the top of Dunsinane Hill. A steep descent and then climb took me to the summit of Black Hill with views along the River Tay to Dundee and Perth.

The next section of the route was following animal tracks to the col with King’s Seat. Here there was a pond with shooting butts nearby. I thought that they were probably for ducks rather than grouse as they were so close to the water’s edge. It was then a steady climb onto the summit of King’s Seat marked by a cairn and a trig point which was painted white.

I took a break here before returning to the pond and working my way round the north side of Black Hill occasionally following animal and vehicle tracks. Prior to rejoining the path to Dunsinane Hill it started to rain and was wet on the descent back to my car.

Photos taken on walk.