The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Wednesday 2 June 2010

Struie, Easter Ross.

Struie

Struie, Easter Ross - Section 15B.
Height – 373 metres. Map – OS Landranger 21.
Climbed - 29 May 2010. Time taken 1 hour.
Distance – 2 kilometres. Height climbed – 160 metres.
Trip Report Details:

My second hill of the day was Struie which involved driving further north along the B9176 to Gleann Dadhain. I parked off the road at NH650849 where there was a large area of waste ground, on the west side of the road, which could take several cars. Another vehicle was also parked there but I never saw the driver.

I walked north along the road for a few metres to beyond the road bridge over the Allt na Coraig as I had spotted what appeared to be a path onto Struie. Once across a ditch I commenced the ascent, following this walker’s path through the heather and passed a small copse of trees. Beyond here the ground was steeper and slightly rocky as it passed to the north of Creag na Cadhaig, where ravens were possibly nesting.

Once beyond the rocky section it was an easy stroll to the summit cairn, reached twenty minutes after setting out from my car. I took a break here looking down to the Dornoch Firth before returning by the upward route.

Photos taken on walk.