The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 22 June 2010

Beinn Bhreac, Minginish, Skye

Summit Beinn Bhreac

Beinn Bhreac, Minginish, Skye Section 17B.
Height - 445 metres. Map – OS Landranger 32.
Climbed - 13 June 2010. Time taken – 4.5 hours.
Distance – 10 kilometres. Ascent – 540 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I was on Skye to climb the Cuillin Munros but the weather forecast was poor so I headed to Talisker to climb this Sub 2000 Marilyn. I drove to the end of the public road in Gleann Oraid, which was reached from Carbost, where there was limited parking.

A sign indicated the route to Talisker Beach which I followed for a few minutes and before Talisker House left the track and walked through wet vegetation to the west of Buaile an Fharaidh, gradually gaining some height. On approaching this hill I spotted, in the low cloud, what I thought may be an eagle on the castellated south side. It also occurred to me that it may be nesting so I made a slight detour to avoid the area.

The ground was a bit rough as I headed for and crossed the Sleadale Burn with various birds, including skylarks rising from the vegetation. The cloud was lowering and there was now some light drizzle as I climbed along the side of a tributary of Sleadale Burn to west of Loch a’Bhac-ghlais. From here I used various lochans to reach Beinn Bhreac in poor visibility.

I came to a cairn which I thought was the summit of Beinn Bhreac but there was no evidence of the trig point which was shown on my map. I had something to eat hoping that the cloud would clear but it didn’t. I therefore did a search of the area and after a few minutes spotted the cairn across some boggy ground.

I returned to Gleann Oraid by the outward route.

The grid reference shown in the Relative Hills of Britain book appears to refer to the trig point. However the 1:25000 map shows the cairn and a point between the cairn and the trig point as at 448 metres.

Photos taken on walk.