The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Wednesday 2 June 2010

Cnoc Corr Guinie, Easter Ross

Cnoc Corr Guinie

Cnoc Corr Guinie, Easter Ross - Section 15B.
Height – 396 metres. Map OS Landranger 21.
Climbed - 29 May 2010. Time taken – 1.75 hours.
Distance – 7 kilometres. Height climbed – 230 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I was planning on climbing a Munro or two either in Kintail or the Monadhliaths but the forecast was for prolonged heavy showers lasting from between 2 – 4 hours so I decided to head for Easter Ross and tackle a few of the Sub 2000 Marilyns, until the rain made an appearance.

Cnoc Corr Guinie is covered in trees but I read on Scottish Hills that forest tracks led almost to the summit cairn so I headed over the B9176 Struie Road to just south of the road leading to Strathy at grid reference NH6527275630. Here a track entered the forest with a signpost for Drove Stance and walkers were welcome. No parking was provided but the entrance was wide enough for a couple of cars to be left at the side. Beyond was an open metal gate with a padlock hanging from it, probably to deter drivers going any further. It worked for me.

Immediately beyond the gate, I took a left turn and walked for around 150 metres to a vehicle track on my right which headed uphill. It was a chilly start but I soon began to warm up as the track gradually climbed through the forest where the birds were the only sound above the noise of the occasional car using the Struie Road.

Higher up some of the trees had been forested and I had views of the Cromarty Firth, the Munro Ben Wyvis, and the Graham, Beinn Tharsuinn and its wind farm. At a junction of vehicle tracks a couple of old fence posts marked the track that headed uphill. I followed the uphill route until it eventually came to a small area of open ground. Here there was another set of fence posts and a cairn off to my right. I walked over to the cairn and after a bit of debate with myself decided it was the highest point although it didn’t look the case whilst standing there. Mountain bike tyre marks indicated that there was a route up from the east through a fire break so there may be a circular trail in the area.

The return was by the ascent route and despite spots of rain I stayed dry.

Photos taken on walk