The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Wednesday 1 June 2011

Beinn Eilideach, Wester Ross.

Beinn Eilideach

Beinn Eilideach, Ullapool, Wester Ross. Section 15A.
Height – 559 metres. Map – OS Landranger 20.
Climbed - 29 May 2011. Time taken – 2.25 hours.
Distance – 6 kilometres. Ascent – 530 metres.
Trip Report Details:

The weather forecast was for heavy rain with strong winds but on rising, and during breakfast at Forest Way Bunkhouse, Braemore, there was little evidence of any wind although it was showery. I had planned to climb the HuMP, Meall Cruaidh in Srath Nimhe but with conditions better than forecasted I decided to climb this Sub 2000 Marilyn instead.

Parking facilities at the start of this walk, a double bend near Leckmelm Farm, on the A835 Ullapool Road was non existent so I parked on the verge at GR NH164908 although in hindsight it probably wasn’t the safest spot. Here there was a Walkers Welcome notice and a directional sign to a viewpoint 1 mile.

I passed through a gate and soon came to another one, again with a viewpoint sign. Just beyond this gate a caravan was partially concealed in the woods with a couple of bikes outside so I presumed it was occupied by someone who kept a low profile. The track led through a forest with rhododendron still in flower.

On emerging into a wide fire break the track, now lined with flowering gorse bushes, zig zagged uphill. Cattle had obviously grazed here but there was no sign of them. Above the tree line I reached a gate in the deer fence and a sign for the viewpoint which was marked by a large rock with views across Loch Broom to the western hills. A reasonable viewpoint on a fine day but today in rain and cloud it wasn’t very spectacular.

I passed through a wicket gate in the deer fence and followed the track for a few more metres before leaving it and heading for Beinn Eilideach over a mixture of heather, bracken and grasses. The ground was a bit wet in places as the frequent showers continued. The gradient eased and I could see the HuMP I had planned to climb and was wondering whether to include it in this outing when the cloud lowered and engulfed me for a few moments.

A band of rocks was reached and I followed it to what appeared to be the highest point, marked by a rock. I could see the outline of Loch Achall and Meall Liath Choire, a Sub 2000 Marilyn, I had climbed earlier that month. I then walked over to the cairn surrounding the trig point where I had a coffee waiting for the cloud to lift. It was rather windy and the rain became quite heavy. A Golden Plover was rather upset by my presence.

With no improvement in the weather I returned to my car by the upward route although the rain did ease and it was less windy once I lost a bit of height.

On returning home I studied the 1:25000 map and noted that the highest point of Beinn Eildeach, was as suspected, east of the cairn and trig point at 559 metres with the trig point a metre lower.

Photos taken on walk.