The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Friday 3 June 2011

Carn na Dubh Choille, Strathgarve.

Carn na Dubh Choille

Carn na Dubh Choille, Strathgarve, Ross-shire. Section 14B.
Height – 479 metres. Map – OS Landranger – 20.
Climbed - 30 May 2011. Time taken – 3.75 hours.
Distance – 12 kilometres. Ascent – 500 metres.
Trip Report Details:

My plan was to climb the Sub 2000 Marilyn, Carn na Dubh Choille, from the bridge east of Inchbae Lodge, on the A835 Garve to Ullapool Road, but on my arrival I discovered the bridge no longer existed, although apparently it will be reinstated next year. On studying my map I noted a path, an old drover’s road, ran from Little Garve through to Aultguish, although it is not shown on all the maps I have examined.

I parked on the grass verge, at the western access road to Little Garve, and walked back along the main road. The starting point for the Drovers Road was closer than expected due to road alignment. This led to a grassy path which ran above the north embankment of the A835 to the track shown on my map. A couple of fallen trees blocked this track but were easily crossed before I reached a crossroads junction, which was signposted. My route, which was marked Drovers Path, crossed the vehicle track and continued through the forest, some sections of which had been harvested.

Again a couple of trees blocked the path before I emerged into a gap between forests where the track was rather wet with lots of running water. It improved when I entered the second forested area but this change was short lived. Beyond a track on the left, the route degenerated into large areas of water and marsh as it descended slightly to the northern edge of the forest.

On clearing the trees I followed the path as it past to the west of Lochan nam Breac and when the path changed direction I commenced the ascent of Carn na Duibh Choille. Initially it was over heather and grasses but higher up the ground was softer and wet with some tussoky grass. It was here that a Meadow Pipit flew its nest revealing four eggs.

The top section of the hill was a bit rocky but it made for easier walking. The trig point was reached with views up Loch Glascarnoch and across to Ben Wyvis. The weather was an improvement compared to the previous couple of days with only the odd shower so I had an early lunch taking in the surrounding views. I visited the north top before returning by the ascent route and heading home.

Photos taken on walk.