The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Friday 17 June 2011

Heaval, Island of Barra.

Heaval

Heaval, Island of Barra. Section 24D.
Height – 383 metres. Map – OS Landranger 31.
Climbed - 6 June 2011. Time taken – 1.25 hours.
Distance – 3.5 kilometres. Ascent – 300 metres.
Trip Report Details:

The sunny morning had been replaced by some light rain with cloud engulfing the summit of Heaval. I was dropped off at the high point on the A888, between Breibhig and Castlebay, where a new car park and picnic area had been constructed.

I crossed the main road and passed through a small gate but the area beyond was rather wet and boggy so I walked along the edge of a fence until the conditions improved. On crossing the fence I commenced the ascent of Heaval following several grassy rakes.

The cloud continued to lower and as height was gained I found traces of muddy paths some of which I followed. The ground steepened before I reached the south-west ridge of Heaval then an easy walk took me to the summit trig point. It appeared that a rock to the north-west was slightly higher than the base of the trig point so I decreed the rock was the highest point of Heaval.

Due to the low cloud there was little point in hanging around at the summit so initially I descended by my ascent route before, once out of the cloud, aiming for the area of Gleann in Castlebay. The ground was fairly steep in sections with a few rocky outcrops. Lower down there were some tussocky ground to cross before I reached the old track that led from my starting point to Gleann. It was then only a short walk to my accommodation in Castlebay.

The map shows the Gaelic name for this hill which is Sheabhal.

Photos taken on walk.