The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Meall Glac Tigh fail, Wester Ross.

Meall Glac Tigh-fail

Meall Glac Tigh-fail, Inverbroom, Wester Ross. Section 14A.
Height – 521 metres. Map – OS Landranger 20.
Climbed - 28 May 2011. Time taken – 2.75 hours.
Distance – 7 kilometres. Ascent – 520 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I was staying at Forest Way Bunkhouse, Braemore, (near Ullapool) so it was only a short drive to Inverbroom, at the south end of Loch Broom. I obtained permission to park beside the houses at Croftown before walking south along the tarred road to Auchlunachan.

At this house I walked passed the north side of the property and its outbuildings onto an overgrown track which led to a rather fancy gate. Beyond this gate the now mainly stony track climbed steadily above the Alltan Odhar. The track split higher up and I guess the higher route led to Sron Sgaile. However I followed the track that continued above the stream until it reached and crossed this burn.

After the crossing I was expecting to locate a path heading north but there was no trace of it so I’m presuming it no longer exists. I therefore headed towards Meall Glac Tigh-fail crossing a couple of streams en-route. The ground was a bit wet with some pools of water, which wasn’t unexpected after the recent rainfall.

In the dip between the east top, Carn Lon nan Gobhar and Meall Glac Tigh-fail I disturbed a herd of deer who were probably sheltering there from the strong winds. Beyond this dip a short steeper climb took me to the summit cairn of Meall Glac Tigh-fail. I had some reasonable views despite the cloud floating around the higher summits with some fresh snow visible on An Tellach.

After a cup of coffee sheltering behind a rock I returned to my car by the upward route.

Photos taken on walk.