The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Hill of Tillymorgan, Aberdeenshire

Hill of Tillymorgan

Hill of Tillymorgan, Aberdeenshire. Section 21B.
Height – 381 metres. Map – OS Landranger 29.
Climbed - 22 May 2011. Time taken – 1.25 hours.
Distance – 4.5 kilometres. Ascent – 195 metres.
Trip Report Details:

Earlier that morning I climbed the Sub 2000 Marilyn, Hill of Foudland, north of Colpy, so it was only a short drive across the A96 to Kirkton of Culsalmond.

I got permission to park beside the old church and kirkyard before heading north along the track that ran between fields of sheep and lambs. This route led to and through a forest where at the north end it changed direction and headed east. My map didn’t show this as it had the track continuing north. That is no longer the case as that part of the track was overgrown with heather.

It soon became obvious that this easterly track wasn’t going to take me towards the Hill of Tillymorgan. I therefore left this track and crossed some rough ground, where timber had been forested, to a double fence. One was easily crossed as it was old, rusty and partially collapsed while the newer barbed wire fence was a bit more difficult.

Once beyond the fences there appeared to be a trail that led along the edge of the forest and I followed it until the old quarry workings came into view. On reaching the stone, which was used for roofing slate, I walked over it to the summit trig point. The weather had brightened up and I had good views of the Aberdeenshire countryside.

On my descent, which was by the upward route, a small bird flew out of the grass and I spotted its nest which contained four eggs. I took a photograph and think it was a Wheatear’s nest.

Photos taken on walk.