The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Sunday 8 May 2011

An Cabar, Wester Ross.

An Cabar

An Cabar, Wester Ross. Section 14B.
Height – 558 metres. Map – OS Landranger 20.
Climbed - 30 April 2011. Time taken – 4.5 hours.
Distance – 9 kilometres. Ascent – 485 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I parked in the lay-by, on the A832, Garve to Achnasheen Road around 300 metres west of Strathbran Lodge, and walked back towards the Lodge. The gate in the deer fence, just prior to the grounds of this property was padlocked as was the high westerly gate leading to the Lodge. The alternative was to continue along to the east gate and walk passed the front of the house which I didn’t consider appropriate. I therefore clambered over the wall, crossed a stream and found the track I was interested in.

The track climbed steadily through the forest and beyond a fire break the ground was more open. On leaving the forest the gradient eased and the track wound its way up the west side of the Allt Daraich. It was a pleasant stroll in the sun and a fox, which had been close to the burn, spotted me and ran off across the hillside.

I reached the south end of Loch na Curra, where there was a small boat shed, with views across the loch to the Fannaichs. I crossed the Allt Daraich and made my way onto the west ridge of An Cabar with ever improving views of Loch Fannich, Fionn Bheinn and Beinn nan Raimh as well as the Fannaichs. The undulating ridge was followed and on the final climb to the summit trig point a deer ran across the hill.

The summit trig point was reached although a nearby rock is apparently slightly higher than the base of the man made structure. I found shelter from a strong wind for a bite to eat and lay in the sun for around seventy five minutes. I may even have nodded off for a while.

The return was by the ascent route. There was no trace of the fox but once back in the forest roe deer saw me and continued their barking as they disappeared into the trees.

Photos taken on walk.