The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Monday 11 October 2010

Craig of Monievreckie, Trossachs.

Menteith Hills

Craig of Monievreckie, Trossachs. Section 1C.
Height – 400 meters. Map – OS Landranger 57.
Climbed - 20 September 2010. Time taken – 4 hours.
Distance – 12.5 kilometres. Ascent – 550 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I was staying in the Trossachs and on advising my host I was planning climbing Craig of Monievreckie she offered me a lift to the start if I would take her dog with me. Not a problem as this would allow me to make the ascent of this Sub 2000 Marilyn a linear walk.

I was dropped off at the Braeval Forest car park on the A81 Port of Menteith to Aberfoyle Road and followed the ‘red route’ through the forest as indicated on the web site ‘Scottish Hills’. High up in the forest an unmarked path led along the side of a stream to a new gate in the mesh type fencing and this gave me access to the open hillside.

A walker’s path meandered through the bracken and onto the south west ridge of Craig of Monievreackie. The path was followed over a few knolls to the summit trig point where I had a coffee break with views of the Lake of Menteith and Ben Venue.

Afterwards I continued along the ridge to the Bealach Conasgach where I took the wrong option. Instead of continuing along the ridge I descended to the Rob Roy Way. This route was pretty awful as it was through long bracken and trees. I don’t think the dog enjoyed the experience either.

Eventually I came to the Rob Roy Way and made good progress through the forest until I reached a gate giving access to an open field. The gate was tied with wire which was impossible to undo. Even a gap in the gate was tied with barbed wire. There was a stile over the adjoining dyke and wire fence but it wasn’t suitable for dogs. I tried to entice the dog over the wall and through the fence, which also had a barbed wire strand, but without success. In the end I had to remove part of the wall then lift and push the now agitated dog through the gap and over the fence.

I rebuilt the wall and walked across the field, containing a few sheep, to the other side. Again I was confronted by a gate which this time was padlocked. Stones appeared to have been removed from the dyke and replaced so I did likewise.

We then walked through the forest, passed Lochan Allt a’Chip Dhuibh, and onto a forest track. This track was followed east before I came across signs restricting access due to forest operations. There was no obvious alternative route so I continued along the track but fortunately no one was working although a large area of the trees had been harvested.

The track took me to the East Lodge at Invertrossachs before the dog entered Loch Venachar for a swim and wash. We then continued along the road until we were picked up east of the Gobhain Bridge.

Photos taken on walk.